What is a postnatal doula and how can I benefit?
Postnatal doulaing is a very rewarding and enjoyable one for me personally.
I've supported many families (day and night time) over the last few years and not every job has been the same.
We all feel and recover differently after birth but we all know that even the smallest support can go a long way.
I often get asked about the difference between a maternity nurse and a postnatal doula. As a postnatal doula, my aim is to nurture the mother in order for her to nurture her baby. Once my client feels confident, nurtured and empowered I know my job is done and in order to achieve this I gradually "wean" myself off meaning I reduce my hours spent with my client towards the end of my contract.
Modern society and parenting can put massive pressure on new mothers and the postnatal period can become a draining and daunting experience when not sufficiently supported. As your postnatal doula, I will be able to signpost you to get the right support suitable to your needs. Although I'm a strong believer in the "fourth trimester" (0-3 months) it doesn't mean I wouldn't support you beyond that time.
What will my support to you entail?
- Debriefing your birth if you wish, listening and perhaps signposting you to other professionals if you should feel the need for it
- Emotional and physical support caring for yourself and your baby (new-born care, recognising cues, understanding your baby's behaviour), allowing you time to rest, sleep or just some much needed self-care
- Feeding support: support with breastfeeding, expressing, signposting should any concerns beyond my scope should arise, bottle feeding, mixed feeding. I am non-judgemental about the choice you make on how to feed your baby.
- Light housework
- Assisting you to appointments
- Providing you with nutritious meals
- Support with other siblings and adapting to your new family life
Standard hourly rate is £20.00. (+ mileage if you live more than 5 miles from my home)
Postnatal packages at a reduced rate available if you wish to book 20 hours or more.
Please get in touch for further information.
Alexandra Risebury - 07814 512166
Breastfeeding your baby is a very personal choice and if you would like support with this then I am very happy to help.
Not just as part of my profession as a neonatal nurse but also as a friend and family member, I have successfully supported many women at different stages of their baby’s age with breastfeeding support.
Having breastfed all 3 of my own children (for 7, 8 and 13 months) I have sufficient understanding and experience with breastfeeding. I am not a qualified breastfeeding councillor but I have attended numerous breastfeeding courses and continue to explore the world of breastfeeding. However, if further support should be required, I am happy to signpost you.
Bump to Baby and Beyond Doula and Baby Massage